There is typical Leisure Tourism and then there is a vastly different type of Tourism…….
- Are you interested in experiencing more than the typical fare of the generic tourism track of beaches, cultural and historical centers and wildlife – even though they are awesome?
- Do you want something more than the usual leisure and business models of Tourism?
- Do you want an experience that allows you to see and feel the country at a deeper and more meaningful level.?
- Do you want to engage with local communities, contribute your time and resources and enjoy the satisfaction of making a difference to lives?
SOCIAL TOURISM AS A SUSTAINABLE MODEL
Of recent society is becoming more socially aware and embarking on a new kind of tourism called Social Tourism.
Social Tourism brings a moral dimension to holidaymaking enabling low income communities and more privileged ones to meet and mingle and exchange experiences and resources
“Social tourism” is a term used to describe a wide variety of holiday types, destinations and target groups.
Social tourism initiatives can be commercial and non-commercial, governmental and private.
They range from small charities organizing holidays for children from low-income backgrounds to private tour operators offering ecological holidays.
What all of these initiatives have in common, is that they bring a moral dimension to tourism, and that their primary aim is to include people in tourism who would otherwise be excluded from it.
Some of the benefits of Social Tourism include :
- personal development of the participants; their confidence and compassion levels will be enhanced by facing learning situations which can potentially change their behavior: ,
- increased social contacts through the opportunities to interact with people of different backgrounds;
- a changed perspective on life, values and priorities by facing socio-economic or environmental situations not faced previously.
- Community development: the communities visited would receive benefits ranging from added income through tourism to receipt of skills, services and other resources provided by the visitors.
Social Tourism is an ideal outlet for those who wish to contribute to sustainable community development while at the same time enjoying a unique holiday experience.
Become a Social Tourist!
In 2008 and 2009 we conducted free English Classes for over 100 children who were referred to us by the Local Parish priest since they could not afford to attend...
Since Sanctuary House is adjacent to Negombo Lagoon and Muthurajawela, and has an abundance of water, it is only logical that we develop our waterways as well as Lagoon frontage....
I first met Tommy at Sanctuary ON 2007 April 22nd. He was a cute little puppy. Tommy grew up with us at Sanctuary House. He was a real asset to...